Meena Savur Moran MD
Associate Professor of Therapeutic Radiology and Assistant Clinical Professor of Nursing; Medical Director, Radiation Oncology at Backus Hospital; Director, Breast Center, William W. Backus Hospital; Associate Chief and Medical Director for Radiation Oncology at the William W. Backus Hospital
Overview: The primary focus of my clinical research has been on clinical, pathological and molecular factors which may predict for outcomes in breast cancer patients treated with radiation therapy, ethnic variations in breast cancer, and quality improvement in breast health care delivery. I have been on the board of directors of the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) of the American College of Surgeons for the last 5 years, and have worked to develop national guidelines, standards and a surveying process for accreditation of breast centers. I have also been interested in investigating radiation techniques. I am the medical director of Radiation Therapy at one of our busiest Satellite Hospitals (W.W.Backus Hospital) and am also the Director of the Breast Center there. I am on the editorial board for the Journal of Clinical Oncology and The Breast Journal, and am an Associate Senior Breast Editor for International Journal of Radiation Therapy, Biology, Physics. I am also a member of the American College of Radiology Breast Appropriateness Criteria Committee to established clinical guidelines for breast cancer treatment.
Recent contributions include:
1. Moran MS, Gonsalvas L, Goss D, Ma S. Breast Cancers in US Residing Indian-Pakistani versus Non-Hispanic White Women: Comparative Analysis of Clinical-Pathologic Features, Treatment and Survival. Br Can Res Treat July 2011;128:(2):543-51
2. Zhang X, Li X, Zhang N, Yang Q, Moran MS. Low dose ionizing radiation enhances the invasiveness of breast cancer cells by inducing epithilial-mesenchymal transition. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. Aug 2011;412(1):188-92.
3. Moran MS, Goss D, Haffty BG, Kaufman CS, Winchester DP. Editorial: Quality Measures, Standards, and Accreditation for Breast Centers in the United States. Int J Rad Onc Biol Phy 2010 Jan 1; 76(1):1-4.
4. Yang TJ, Haffty BG, Yang Q, Moran MS. Prognostic Implications of Mammographically Occult, Early Stage Breast Cancer Patients Treated with Breast Conservation Therapy. Int J Radiat Onc Biol Phys 2010 Jan 1;76(1):79-84
4. Sharma C, Harris L, Yang Q, Haffty BG, Moran MS. Does Compliance with Radiation Therapy Differ in African American Patients with Early Stage Breast Cancer? Breast J. 2009 Dec 16.
5. Ma S, Huang J, Moran MS. Identification of genes associated with multiple cancers via integrative analysis. BMC Genomics, 2009 Nov 17;10: 535-539
6. Moran MS, Yang Q, Haffty, BG. The Yale University Experience of Early-Stage Invasive Lobular Carcinoma (ILC) and Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (IDC) Treated with Breast Conservation Treatment (BCT): Analysis of Clinical-Pathologic Features, Long Term Outcomes, and Molecular Expression of COX-2, Bcl-2 and p53 as a Function of Histology. Breast Journal 2009 Nov/Dec;15(6): 571-8.
7. Moran MS, Haffty BG. Radiation Techniques and Toxicities for Locally Advanced Breast Cancer. Semin Rad Onc 2009 Oct;19(4):244-55
8. Haffty BG, Choi DH, Goyal S, Silber A, Ranieri K, Matloff E, Hyuk M, Nisselblatt M, Toppermeyer D, Moran MS. Breast Cancer in Young Women: Prevalence of BRCA 1 and 2 Mutations and Risk of Secondary Malignancies across Diverse Racial Groups. Ann Oncol. 2009 June 2
9. Goyal S, Parikh RR, Green C, Schiff D, Moran MS, Yang Q, Haffty BG. Clinicopathologic significance of excision repair cross-complementation 1 (ERCC-1) expression in patients treated with breast conserving surgery and radiation therapy. Int J Radiat Onc Biol Phys 2009, May 21
10. Lui GF, Yang Q, Haffty BG, Moran MS. Clinical-pathologic Features and Outcomes of Tubular Carcinoma of the Breast Compared with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Treated with Breast Conservation Therapy. Int J Radiat Onc Biol Phys 2009 Dec 1;75(5):1304-8
11. Yang Q, Moran MS, Haffty BG. Bcl-2 Expression Predicts Local Relapse for Early-Stage Breast Cancer Receiving Conserving Surgery and Radiotherapy. Breast Canc Res Treat 2009 May; 115(2):343-8
12. Moran MS, Yang, Q, Harris LN, Jones B, Tucker D, Haffty BG. Long Term Outcomes and Clinical-Pathologic Differences between African American and Caucasian Patients Treated with Breast Conservation Therapy for Early Stage Breast Cancer. Cancer. Nov 1 2008;113(9):2565-2574.
13. Haffty BG, Yang Q, Moran MS, Tan AR, Reiss M. Estrogen dependent prognostic significance of COX-2 expression in early stage invasive breast cancers treated with breast conserving surgery and radiation. Int J Rad Onc Biol Phy 2008. Jul 15;71(4)1006-13
Technical Aspects of Radiation Therapy Delivery:
1. Moran MS, Lund MW, Ahmad M, Trumpore HS, Haffty B. and Nath R. Improved Treatment of Pelvis and Inguinal Nodes Using Modified Segmental Boost Technique: Dosimetric Evaluation. Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys., 59(5): 1523-1530, 2004
2. Moran MS, Lund MW, Ahmad M, Moseley D, Waldron K, Friedman F, Wilson L. Clinical Applications of Image Guided Radiation Therapy for Prostate Cancer: Defining the Optimal ‘Field of Interest” (FOI) and Automated Image Registration Parameters. Technol Cancer Res Treat 2008 Jun;7(3):217-26
3. Ahmad M, Deng J, Lund MW, Chen Z, Kimmett J, Moran MS, Nath R. Clinical Implementation of enhanced dynamic wedges into the Pinnacle treatment planning system: Monte Carlo validation and patient-specific QA. Phys Med Biol 2009; (54)447-465
4. Moran MS, Castrucci WA, Ahmad M, Song H, Lund MW, Mani S, Chamberlain D, Higgins SA. Clinical Utility of the Modified Segmental Boost Technique for Treatment of the Pelvis and Inguinal Nodes. Int J Radiat Onc Biol Phys 2009 July
Education & Training
- Cornell University Medical College (1994)
- Roosevelt Hospital, Columbia University, Internal Medicine (1994 - 1995)
- Yale-New Haven Hospital, Radiation Oncology (1995 - 1998)
- Board Certification
- Radiation Oncology, Board Certified (1999)
- Member, American College of Radiology (7.1.09)
- (6/06 - 6/12)
- Program Committee,, Member (2009)
- (2008 - 2011)
- (2008 - 2012)
- (2008 - 2012)
- American Radium Society (ARS) (2008 - 2010)
- American College of Surgeons/National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers, Member (2008 - 2012)
- (2007 - 2009)
- (2007 - 2009)
- American Society of Breast Diseases (ASBD) (2007 - 2009)
- American Society of Therapeutic Radiology & Oncology (ASTRO) (2006 - 2012)
- (1/2008 - 11/2008)
- (01/09 - 01/12)