Breast Neoplasms; Neoplasms by Histologic Type; Obesity; Ovarian Neoplasms; Weight Loss; Exercise
Public Health Interests
Cancer; Cancer Epidemiology
Professor Irwin's primary research interests are in the areas of energy balance and cancer prevention and prognosis. She is trained in cancer epidemiology, exercise physiology, and clinical trials. Specifically, Professor Irwin's research involves examining the effect of exercise and weight loss on cancer biomarkers, treatment side effects and quality of life.
Speciailzed Terms: Energy balance; Cancer prevention and prognosis
- Irwin ML, Smith A, McTiernan A, Cronin K, Ballard-Barbash R, Baumgartner R, Gilliland F, Bernstein L. Influence of pre- and post-diagnosis physical activity on mortality in breast cancer survivors: The Health Eating Activity and Lifestyle (HEAL) Study. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2008 Aug 2026(24):3958-64.
- Irwin ML, Varma K, Alvarez-Reeves, et al. Randomized controlled exercise trial on insulin and IGFs in breast cancer survivors: The Yale Exercise and Survivorship Study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarker Prev. 2009 18(1): 306-13.
- Irwin ML, Alvarez-Reeves M, Cadmus L, et al. Randomized controlled exercise trial on body fat, lean mass, and bone mineral density in breast cancer survivors: The Yale Exercise and Survivorship Study. Obesity. 2009. 17(8):1534-41.
- Irwin ML, Mayne ST. Impact of nutrition and physical activity on cancer survival. The Cancer Journal: The Journal of Principles and Practices of Oncology, 2008 14(6): 435-41.
- Irwin ML, McTiernan A, Bernstein L, et al. Relationship of obesity and physical activity with c-peptide, leptin, and insulin-like growth factors in breast cancer survivors. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers Prevention. 2005 14(12): 2881-8
- Irwin, M.L., McTiernan, A., Baumgartner, R.N., Baumgartner, K.B., Bernstein, L., Gilliland, F.D., and Ballard-Barbash, R. Changes in Body Fat and Weight After a Breast Cancer Diagnosis: Influence of Demographic, Prognostic, and Lifestyle Factors. Journal of Clinical Oncology 23(4): 774-782, 2005.
- Irwin, M.L., McTiernan, A., Bernstein, L., Gilliland, F.D., Baumgartner, R., Baumgartner, K., and Ballard-Barbash, R. Physical Activity Levels Among Breast Cancer Survivors. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 36(9): 1484-1491, 2004.
- Irwin, M.L., Crumley, D., McTiernan, A, Bernstein, L., Baumgartner, R., Gilliland, F.D., Kriska, A., and Ballard-Barbash, R. Physical Activity Levels Before and After a Diagnosis of Breast Carcinoma: the Health, Eating, Activity, and Lifestyle (HEAL) Study. Cancer 97(7): 1746-1757, 2003
- Irwin ML, McTiernan A, Manson J, Thompson C, Sternfeld B, Stefanick M, Wactawski-Wende J, Craft L, Lane D, Martin L, Chlebowski R. Physical activity and survival in women diagnosed with breast cancer: Results from the Women’s Health Initiative. Cancer Prevention Research. 2011;4(4): 522-9.
- Irwin ML, Duggan C, Smith A, Ballard-Barbash R, Bernstein L, Baumgartner R, Baumgartner K, McTiernan A. Fasting C-peptide levels and death due to all causes and breast cancer: The Health Eating Activity and Lifestyle (HEAL) Study. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2011; 29(1): 47-53.
- Irwin, M.L., Yasui, Y., Ulrich, C.M., Bowen, D., Rudolph, R.E., Schwartz, R.S., Yukawa, M., Aiello, E., Potter, J.D., and McTiernan, A. Effect of Exercise on Total and Intra-Abdominal Body Fat in Postmenopausal Women: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of the American Medical Association 289(3): 323-330, 2003.
- Zhou Y, Chlebowski R, LaMonte MJ, Bea JW, Qi L, Wallace R, Lavasani S, Walsh BW, Anderson G, Vitolins M, Sarto G, Irwin ML. Body mass index, physical activity, and mortality in women diagnosed with ovarian cancer: results from the Women's Health Initiative. Gynecol Oncol. 2014 Apr;133(1):4-10
- Irwin ML, Cartmel B, Gross C, et al. Randomized trial of exercise on aromatase inhibitor-associated arthralgias: The Hormones and Physical Exercise (HOPE) Study. J Clin Oncol. 2015 Apr 1;33(10):1104-11
- Playdon MC, Bracken MB, Sanft TB, Ligibel JA, Harrigan M, Irwin ML. Weight Gain After Breast Cancer Diagnosis and All-Cause Mortality: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2015 Sep 30;107(12).