Shirley M McCarthy MD, PhD
Professor of Diagnostic Radiology and of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences
Dr. Shirley McCarthy joined the Yale School of Medicine faculty in 1984. Among her research interests are the applications and cost effectiveness of magnetic resonance imaging of the body, gynecologic applications of MRI, and other imaging techniques including CT. Previous studies have included prospective evaluations of MRI versus other imaging techniques in the diagnosis and detection of disease and the underlying anatomy and/or physiology accounting for the image appearance.
She is a fellow in the International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, and is considered an international leader in her field. Professor McCarthy completed her undergraduate studies at SUNY, her medical training at Yale and her Ph.D. at Cornell.
Education & Training
- Cornell University (1975)
- Yale University (1979)
- Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT, Diagnostic Radiology
- University of California, San Francisco, CA, Cross Sectional Imaging
- Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT, Diagnostic Imaging
- Board Certification
- Radiology, Diagnostic, Board Certified (1983)
Honors & Recognition
- Best Doctor National & NY area
International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine