Joanne Barnes Weidhaas MD/PhD
Associate Professor of Therapeutic Radiology
MicroRNAs; Genetics; Radiation and chemotherapy resistance
Understanding radiation resistance, genetic cancer risks, microRNAs. We have developed a model of non-apoptotic cell death in C. elegans, and employed this model to understand the radiation response. We have shown a role for miRNAs in the radiation response in mammalian systems. We are interested in understanding the role of miRNAs in cancer, especially in cancer risk.
Extensive Research Description
We have developed a model of non-apoptotic cell death in C. elegans, and employed this model to understand the radiation response. We have shown a role for miRNAs in the radiation response in mammalian systems. We are interested in understanding the role of miRNAs in cancer, especially in cancer risk.
- Kato M, Paranjape T, Ullrich R, Nallur S, Gillespie E, Keane K, Esquela-Kerscher A, Weidhaas JB, Slack FJ. The mir-34 microRNA is required for the DNA damage response in vivo in C. elegans and in vitro in human breast cancer cells.
Oncogene. 2009 Jun 2528(25):2419-24. Epub 2009 May 4.
- Hoffman AE, Zheng T, Yi C, Leaderer D, Weidhaas J, Slack F, Zhang Y, Paranjape T, Zhu Y. microRNA miR-196a-2 and breast cancer: a genetic and epigenetic association study and functional analysis.
Cancer Res. 2009 Jul 1569(14):5970-7. Epub 2009 Jun 30. PMID: 19567675
- Weidhaas JB, Li SX, Winter K, Ryu J, Jhingran A, Miller B, Dicker AP, Gaffney D. Changes in gene expression predicting local control in cervical cancer: results from Radiation Therapy Oncology Group 0128.
Clin Cancer Res. 2009 Jun 1515(12):4199-206. Epub 2009 Jun 9.
- Slack FJ, Weidhaas JB. MicroRNA in cancer prognosis. N Engl J Med. 2008 Dec 18359(25):2720-2.
- Lena J. Chin, Elena Ratner, Shuguang Leng, Rihong Zhai, Sunitha Nallur, Imran Babar, Roman-Ulrich Muller, Eva Straka, Li Su, Elizabeth A. Burki, Richard E. Crowell, Rajeshvari Patel, Trupti Kulkarni, Robert Homer, Daniel Zelterman, Kenneth K. Kidd, Yong Zhu, David C. Christiani, Steven A.Belinsky, Frank J. Slack and Joanne B. Weidhaas (2008). A SNP in a let-7 microRNA complementary site in the KRAS 3'UTR Increases Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Risk. Cancer Research 68:8535-40. PMID: 18922928
- Joanne B. Weidhaas, Imran Babar, Phong Trang, Sunitha M. Nallur, Sarah Roush, Michelle Boehm, Erin Gillespie and Frank J. Slack (2007). MicroRNAs as potential agents to alter resistance to cytotoxic anticancer therapy. Cancer Research 67: 11111-6. PMID: 18056433