Stem Cell Center, Yale: Stem Cell Niche and Homing | Transcriptional Regulation of Stem and Progenitor Cells
Dr. Forget's laboratory is involved in a research program studying the
regulation of gene expression in hematopoietic cells, with an emphasis
on erythroid-specific gene expression. Work is devoted to: study of the
transcriptional regulation of genes encoding red cell membrane skeleton
proteins such as spectrin and ankyrin; study of the molecular basis of
mutations of these genes that cause hereditary anemias; and study of
differential gene expression in highly enriched primitive hematopoietic
stem cells. The study of the regulation of tissue-specific gene
expression and hematopoietic stem cell-specific gene expression is
relevant to the elucidation of mechanisms responsible for abnormal gene
expression in genetic and acquired disorders of blood cells, and to
research directed at the purification and manipulation of
reconstituting hematopoietic stem cells for the purposes of gene
Extensive Research Description
Hematopoiesis provides an excellent model system for the study of gene expression and the molecular basis of disease. In hematopoietic cells, a number of genes are expressed in a tissue-specific and developmentally regulated fashion. Furthermore, a number of inherited and acquired disorders of hematopoietic cells are due to mutations that result in abnormal expression of these specialized genes.
- Forget, B.G. and Hardison, R.C., The normal structure and regulation of human globin gene clusters. In: Disorders of Hemoglobin. 2nd Ed. Steinberg, M.H., Forget, B.G., Higgs, D.R., Weatherall, D.J. (eds). Cambridge Univ. Press, New York, pp. 46-61, 20
- Giardina, P.J. and Forget, B.G. Thalassemia syndromes. In: Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 5th Ed. R. Hoffman, E.J. Benz, Jr., S.J. Shattil, B, Furie, L.E. Silberstein, P. McGlave and H. Heslop (eds). Churchill Livingstone, Philadelphia, p
- Tolpinrud, W., Maksimova, Y.D., Forget, B.G., Gallagher, P.G. Nonsense mutations of the alpha spectrin gene in hereditary pyropoikilocytosis. Haematologica. 93:1752-1754, 2008.
- Sangerman, J., Maksimova, Y., Edelman, E.J., Morrow, J.S., Forget, B.G., Gallagher, P.G. Ankyrin-linked hereditary spherocytosis in an African-American kindred. Am. J. Hematol. 83:789-794, 2008.
- Kieusseian, A, Chagraoui, J., Kerdudo C, Mangeot, P., Gage, P., Navarro, N., Izac, B., Uzan, G., Forget, B.G., Dubart-Kupperschmitt, A. Expression of Pitx2 in stromal cells is required for normal hematopoiesis. Blood 107:492-500, 2006.
- Zhang, H., Degar, B., Rogoulina, S., Resor, C., Booth, C., Sinning, J., Gage, P., Forget, B.G. Hematopoiesis following disruption of the Pitx2 homeodomain gene. Exp. Hemat. 34: 167-178, 2006
- Forget, B.G. De novo and acquired forms of alpha thalassemia. Curr. Hematol. Rep. 5;11-14, 2006.