The delivery of cancer care is becoming ever more complex, involving multiple disciplines for the diagnosis and treatment of patients. In response, Smilow Cancer Hospital and Yale Cancer Center have developed 12 multidisciplinary clinical programs to care for patients diagnosed with cancer. The clinical programs allow physicians and specialists at Smilow Cancer Hospital to focus their expertise on specific types of cancers enabling them to provide superior care to our patients through a patient-friendly system of care led by a nurse coordinator. Our nationally recognized physicians provide unparalleled cancer expertise and are leaders in both the treatment of cancers and the development of innovative treatment strategies.
The key characteristics of the 12 Clinical Programs at Smilow Cancer Hospital at Yale-New Haven are:
- Patient centered care
- Rapid access to appointments and relevant tests
- Personalized care led by a physician in collaboration with a team of specialists
- Personal communication and assistance from a dedicated intake specialist and nurse coordinator
- Compassion and support for the psychological aspects of cancer
- Rapid communication with and involvement of outside primary care and referring physicians