Osteoarthropathy, Primary Hypertrophic; Pathology; Pseudoxanthoma Elasticum; Sickle Cell Trait; Rare Diseases; Vascular Calcification
Discovery to Cure Internship
- Structural biology of protein complexes implicated in the pathogenesis of cancer
- Genetic transcription
Specialized Terms; Structural biology; Hematopathology; Genitourinary Pathology
Extensive Research Description
My group is primarily interested in biochemical and structural aspects of oncogensis and blood disorders. We have recently described two endothelial enzymes within the brain vasculature that promote platelet aggregation by converting small molecule signals released from platelets into ADP. Polymorphisms in one of these enzymes has recently been discovered to confer stroke protection to pediatric sickle cell patients, indicated the centrality of these enzymes in the pathophysiology of stroke.
- ENPP1-Fc Fusion Protein Prevents Mortality and Vascular Calcifications in Rodent Model of Generalized Calcification of Infancy Nature Communications, (2015) Dec 1;6:10006
- The Molecular Basis of Purinergic Signal Metabolism by Ecto-Nucleotide Phosphatase/Phosphodiesterases 4 and 1 and Implications in Stroke (2014) J Biol Chem. Feb 7;289(6):3294-306
- NPP4 is a procoagulant enzyme on the surface of vascular endothelium Blood, (2012) 120:4432-4440.
- Dimerization of FIR upon FUSE DNA binding suggests a mechanism of c-myc inhibition (2008) EMBO, 27 277-289