Breast Neoplasms; Epidemiology; Meningioma; Neurosurgery; Statistics as Topic; Central Nervous System Neoplasms
Public Health Interests
Biostatistics; BRAC1; BRAC2; Breast cancer; Cancer Epidemiology; Genetic epidemiology; Glioma; Meningioma; Neuroepidemiology; Risk assessment; Statistical genetics
Dr. Claus works in cancer epidemiology and statistical genetics with emphasis on the development of risk models for breast and ovarian cancer and tumors of the central nervous system (CNS). She is principal investigator of a study of 2000 female Connecticut residents examining the clinical (including mammographic density), genetic, and epidemiologic characteristics of breast carcinoma in-situ (BCIS), and following these women over time to better define their long-term outcomes, including those with mutations in two breast cancer susceptibility genes, BRCA1 and BRCA2. Dr. Claus is a neurosurgeon working in neuro-oncologic surgery, including the intra-operative use of magnetic resonance therapy and computer guided imagery for brain tumor removal, including glioma and metastatic lesions to the CNS, particularly metastatic breast cancer. She has recently received funding from NIH to commence the first national study of meningioma. This multi-state project will enroll over 3000 subjects to define genetic and environmental risk factors for meingioma as well as identify pedigrees with multiple family members affected with meningioma. Dr. Claus is also co-investigator in the GLIOGENE project, an international effort to identify genes associated with glioma.
Extensive Research Description
- The Yale Breast Study
- The DCIS and BRCA1/2 Cohort Study
- The Meningioma Consortium Project
- The Meningioma Family Study
- The Menigioma Genome-Wide Association Study
- GLIOGENE (Genes for Glioma)
- The International Glioma Case/Control Study
- Bainbridge M, Armstrong G, Gramatges M, Bertuch A, Jhangiani S, Doddapaneni H, Lewis L, Tombrello J, Tsavachidis S, Liu Y, Jalali A, Plon S, Lau C, Parsons W, Claus EB, Barnholtz-Sloan J, Il'Yasova D, Schildkraut J, Ali-Osman F, Sadetzki S, Johan
- Claus EB, Walsh K, Wiencke J, Molinaro AM, Schildkraut JM, Bondy M, Berger M, Wiemels J, Jenkins R, Wrensch M. Survival and Low Grade Glioma: The Emergence of Genetic Information. Neurosurgical Focus (In Press)
- Rajakesari S, Arvold N, Jimenez RB, Christianson LW, Horvath M, Claus EB et al. Local Control after Fractionated Stereotactic Radiation Therapy for Brain Metastases. J Neurooncol. 2014 Jul 25. [Epub ahead of print]
- Schildkraut JM, Calvocoressi L, Wang F, Wrensch M, Bondy ML, Wiemels JL, Claus EB. Endogenous and Exogenous Hormone Exposure and the Risk of Meningioma in Men. J Neurosurg online January 31, 2014; DOI: 10.3171/2013.12.JNS131170.
- Wiemels J, Bracchi P, Schildkraut J, Wrensch M, Bondy M, Pfefferle J, Zhou M, Sison J, Calvocoressi L, Claus EB. Effect of Gender on the Production of Autoantibodies to Meningioma Antigens. Am J Epidemiol 2013;177:75-83
- Claus EB, Calvocoressi L, Bondy M, Schildkraut J, Wiemels J, Wrensch M. Dental X-rays and Risk of Meningioma. Cancer. 2012 Sep 15;118(18):4530-7.
- Claus EB, Calvocoressi L, Bondy M, Wrensch M, Wiemels J, Schildkraut J. Exogenous Hormone Use, Reproductive Factors and the Risk of Intra-Cranial Meningioma in Females. J Neurosurg 2012 Oct 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Liu Y, Melin BS, Rajaraman P, Wang Z, Linet M, Shete S et al. Insight in glioma susceptibility through an analysis of 6p22.3, 12p13.33-12.1, 17q22-23.2 and 18q23 SNP genotypes in familial and non-familial glioma. Hum Genet. 2012 Sep;131(9):1507
- Claus EB. Neurosurgical management of metastases in the central nervous System. Nat Rev Clin Oncol 2012; 9, 79–86; published online 6 December 2011
- Shete S, Lau C, Houlston R, Claus EB, Barnholtz-Sloan J, Lai R et al. A High-density SNP Genome-wide Linkage Search identifies Susceptibility Loci for Glioma: Results from the GLIOGENE Consortium. Cancer Res 2011 Dec 15;71(24):7568-75. Epub 201
- Claus EB, Calvocoressi L, Bondy M, Schildkraut J, Wiemels J, Wrensch M. Family and Personal Medical History and Risk of Meningioma. J Neurosurg 2011;115:1072-77
- Cahill KS, Chi J, Day A, Claus EB: Bone Morphogenetic Protein and Spinal Fusion: Utilization, Complications, and Costs. J Amer Med Assoc 2009:302:58-66
- Claus EB, Park PJ, Carroll R, Chan J, Black PM. Specific genes expressed in association with progesterone receptors in meningioma. Cancer Research 2008;68(1):314-22
- Claus, E.B., Petruzella, S., Matloff, E., and Carter, D. Prevalence of BRCA1 and BRCA2 Mutations in Women Diagnosed with Ductal Carcinoma In Situ. J Amer Med Assoc 293(8): 964-969, 2005.