Esophageal Neoplasms; Ovarian Neoplasms; Pancreatic Neoplasms; Polymorphism, Genetic; Gonadal Steroid Hormones; Stomach Neoplasms; Helicobacter pylori; Molecular Epidemiology; Germ-Line Mutation; Host-Pathogen Interactions
Public Health Interests
BRAC1; BRAC2; Cancer Epidemiology; Cancer Survival; Dietary factors; Epidemiology Methods; Esophageal Cancer; Gastric Cancer; Genetic epidemiology; Helicobacter pylori; Ovarian Cancer; Pancreas Cancer; Risk assessment
Dr. Risch's research interests are in the areas of cancer etiology and prevention, and in epidemiology methods. He is especially interested in the effects of reproductive factors, diet, genetic predisposition, and histopathologic factors in the causation of ovarian cancer, and these factors as well as infection and immune functioning in the etiology of pancreatic cancer. His major research projects have included studies of ovarian cancer, pancreas cancer, lung cancer, bladder cancer, esophageal and stomach cancer, and of cancers related to usage of oral contraceptives and noncontraceptive estrogens. Dr. Risch is Associate Editor of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Editor of the International Journal of Cancer, and Member of the Board of Editors, the American Journal of Epidemiology.
- Risch, H.A., Lu, L., Kidd, M.S., Wang, J., Zhang, W., Ni, Q., Gao, Y.-T., Yu, H. Helicobacter pylori seropositivities and risk of pancreatic carcinoma. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention 23: 172-178, 2014.
- Risch, H.A., Yu, H., Lu, L., and Kidd, M.S. ABO blood group, Helicobacter pylori seropositivity, and risk of pancreatic cancer: a case-control study. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 102: 502-505, 2010.
- Risch, H.A., McLaughlin, J.R., Cole, D.E., Rosen, B., Bradley, L., Fan, I., Tang, J., Li, S., Zhang, S., Shaw, P.A., and Narod, S.A. Population BRCA1 and BRCA2 Mutation Frequencies and Cancer Penetrances: A Kin-Cohort Study in Ontario, Canada. Journal of
- Risch, H.A. Etiology of pancreatic cancer, with a hypothesis concerning the role of N-nitroso compounds and excess gastric acidity. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 95: 948-960, 2003.
- Risch, H.A. Hormonal etiology of epithelial ovarian cancer, with a hypothesis concerning the role of androgens and progesterone. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 90: 1774-1786, 1998.
- Risch, H.A., Marrett, L.D., Jain, M. and Howe, G.R. Differences in risk factors for epithelial ovarian cancer by histologic types: results of a case-control study. American Journal of Epidemiology 144: 363-372, 1996.
- Risch, H.A. Estrogen replacement therapy and risk of epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecologic Oncology 63: 254-257, 1996
- Risch, H.A., Howe, G.R., Jain, M., Burch, J.D., Holowaty, E.J. and Miller, A.B. Are female smokers at higher risk for lung cancer than male smokers? A case-control analysis by histologic type. American Journal of Epidemiology 138: 281-293, 1993