Monte Carlo Method; Neoplasms by Histologic Type; Radiation, Ionizing; Radiation Oncology; Radiotherapy, Image-Guided
Therapeutic Radiology/Radiation Oncology: Deng Lab | Radiological Physics
Radiotherapy is an effective treatment modality for fighting cancers around the world. My current research on cancer radiotherapy is primarily focused on three areas: (1) kilo-voltage cone beam CT (kVCBCT) scan optimization and dose reduction strategy; (2) accurate estimation of organ doses from medical imaging procedures; and (3) Monte Carlo treatment planning. My research on kVCBCT imaging doses and dose reduction strategies will make personalized low dose CBCT possible, hence contributing to the safe applications of CBCT worldwide. My study on the organ doses will provide a consistent and systematic approach to accurately estimating the organ doses from medical imaging procedures, offering highly relevant information in clinical decision-making for individual patient. My work on Monte Carlo treatment planning involves beam modeling of high-energy ionizing radiation and accurate dose calculations in patient CT anatomy, which is crucial in radiotherapy planning, delivery and quality assurance.
Specialized Terms: Dose Reduction and Scan Optimization; Medicla Imaging; Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT); Monte Carlo Treatment Planning for Radiation Therapy of Cancers; Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT); Organ Motion and Deformable Registration; Optimization for Radiation Therapy; Biologically Guided Radiation Therapy (BGRT)
Extensive Research Description
During the past few years, Dr. Deng and his group have carried out six research projects focusing on image-guided radiotherapy (IGRT) and Monte Carlo treatment planning, leading to several peer-reviewed papers published on international journals. The first project investigates the impact of kilo-voltage cone beam computed tomography (kVCBCT) on IGRT of prostate cancer. The second project is on Monte Carlo investigation of stereotactic radiosurgery of spinal metastases. The third project studies the testicular doses deposited by kVCBCT on prostate cancer patients undergoing IGRT. The fourth is on kVCBCT imaging doses to pediatric cancer patients. The fifth project is on personalized assessment of kVCBCT doses during IGRT of pediatric patients. The sixth project is on the red bone marrow doses from kVCBCT scans and the associated leukemia risk. Their works help the clinicians worldwide make informed decision on IGRT applications, potentially improving radiation safety in medical imaging of both adult and pediatric patients, which is highly aligned with the missions of the campaigns of Image Gently for children and Image Wisely for adults.
- Development of a scan protocol optimizer for personalized low-dose kVCBCT;
- Investigation on the imaging doses and the associated cancer risk in CBCT-guided breast radiotherapy;
- Development of a novel dynamic filter for improved CBCT scans;
- A patient-specific 4D digital phantom for dynamic dose estimation of external ionizing radiation;
- 4D dynamic simulation of patients undergoing radiotherapy;
- Assessment of image quality for kilo-voltage cone beam computed tomography with dose-to-noise ratio.
- J. Deng, Y. Zhang, R. Nath, S. Bao. CT scans in childhood and risk of leukaemia and brain tumours. Lancet. 2012 Nov 17; 380(9855):1735; author reply 1736-7. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(12)61980-1. PubMed PMID: 23158242.
- Zhang Y, Yan Y, Nath R, Bao S, Deng J. Personalized Assessment of kV Cone Beam Computed Tomography Doses in Image-guided Radiotherapy of Pediatric Cancer Patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012 Aug 1;83(5):1649-54. Epub 2012 Jan 26. PubMed PMID: 22285667.
- Zhang Y, Yan Y, Nath R, Bao S, Deng J. Personalized estimation of dose to red bone marrow and the associated leukaemia risk attributable to pelvic kilo-voltage cone beam computed tomography scans in image-guided radiotherapy. Phys Med Biol. 2012 Jul 21;57(14):4599-612. Epub 2012 Jul 2. PubMed PMID: 22750636.
- Deng J, Chen Z, Yu JB, Roberts KB, Peschel RE, Nath R. Testicular Doses in Image-Guided Radiotherapy of Prostate Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011 Apr 12. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 21489702.
- Deng J, Chen Z, Roberts KB, Nath R. Kilovoltage Imaging Doses in the Radiotherapy of Pediatric Cancer Patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011 Apr 6. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 21477943.
- Clinical implementation of enhanced dynamic wedges into the Pinnacle treatment planning system: Monte Carlo validation and patient-specific QA. Ahmad M, Deng J, Lund MW, Chen Z, Kimmett J, Moran MS, Nath R. (2009) Clinical implementation of enhanced dynamic wedges into the Pinnacle treatment planning system: Monte Carlo validation and patient-specific QA.
- C. Ma, J. Li, J. Deng, and J. Fan, Implementation of Monte Carlo Dose Calculation for CyberKnife treatment planning, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 102, 012016, 2008
- Chen ZJ, Deng J, Roberts K, Nath R. On the need to compensate for edema-induced dose reductions in preplanned (131)Cs prostate brachytherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008 Jan 170(1):303-10. Epub 2007 Nov 5.
- Song H, Ahmad M, Deng J, Chen Z, Yue NJ, Nath R. Limitations of silicon diodes for clinical electron dosimetry. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2006120(1-4):56-9. Epub 2006 Jun 13.
- Chen Z, Deng J, Roberts K, Nath R. Potential impact of prostate edema on the dosimetry of permanent seed implants using the new 131Cs (model CS-1) seeds. Med Phys. 2006 Apr33(4):968-75.
- J. Deng, T. Guerrero, C.-M. Ma, and R. Nath, Modeling 6MV photon beams of a stereotactic radiosurgery system for Monte Carlo treatment planning, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 49(9), 1689-1704, 2004