Zebrafish; Developmental Biology; Gene Expression Regulation, Developmental; Computational Biology; Genomics; Systems Biology
Small RNAs in Development
Stem Cell Center, Yale: Stem Cell Genetics
In our laboratory we investigate how gene regulation shapes vertebrate embryonic development using zebrafish as a model system. We combine genomics, genetics, embryology, chemical and computational biology to address a central question in biology: how does a fertilized egg develop into a complex multicellular embryo. This process requires a precise spatial and temporal regulation of gene expression. We are primarily focused on understanding the mechanisms that activate the genome soon after fertilization and how this universal transition drives post-transcriptional regulation of the maternal instructions to allow one of the central developmental transitions to occur.
- Lee MT#, Ashley R#. Bonneau AR, Takacs CM, Bazzini AA, DiVito KR, Fleming ES, Giraldez AJ‡. Nanog, SoxB1 and Pou5f1/Oct4 regulate widespread zygotic gene activation during the maternal-to-zygotic transition. Nature, 2013 Sep 22. doi: 10.1038/nature12632
- Stahlhut C, Suarez Y, Lu J, Mishima Y‡, and Giraldez AJ‡. miR-1/206 regulate angiogenesis by modulating Vegf-A expression. Development, 2012 Dec 1;139(23):4356-64. doi: 10.1242/dev.083774
- Bazzini AA, Lee MT, Giraldez AJ‡. Ribosome Profiling Shows That miR-430 Reduces Translation Before Causing mRNA Decay in Zebrafish. Science. 13 April 2012: 233-23
- Staton AA, Knaut H and Giraldez AJ. miRNA regulation of Sdf1 chemokine signaling provides genetic robustness to germ cell migration. Nature Genetics. 2011 Mar;43(3):204-11. Epub 2011 Jan 23.
- Cifuentes D, Xue H, Taylor DW, Patnode H, Mishima Y, Cheloufi S, Ma E, Mane S, Hannon GJ, Lawson ND, Wolfe SA, Giraldez AJ. A novel miRNA processing pathway independent of Dicer requires Argonaute2 catalytic activity. Science. 2010 Jun 25;328(5986):1694-8
- Identification of small ORFs in vertebrates using ribosome footprinting and evolutionary conservation. Bazzini AA, Johnstone TG, Christiano R, Mackowiak SD, Obermayer B, Fleming ES, Vejnar CE, Lee MT, Rajewsky N, Walther TC, Giraldez AJ.