Bone Neoplasms; Medical Oncology; Musculoskeletal Diseases; Orthopedics; Pathology; Molecular Diagnostic Techniques; Translational Medical Research
I am interested in understanding the forces driving tumor formation and tumor progression. Using clues from clinical observation, experimental models and in silico simulations, I formulate hypotheses that can then be tested either in the laboratory or in the clinic. For example, the theory that carcinogenesis is a micro-evolutionary process best described by metapopulation dynamics provides a framework for understanding the origins of tumor heterogeneity and explains the reason for the long term failures of some therapies. It also demonstrates how intermediate disturbance can favor the emergence and progression of tumors without significant increase in mutational rate. Theory also suggests that inhibiting the so-called capacitors of evolution may be a useful intervention to increase the therapeutic effect of some of the anticancer agents used in the clinic.
Specialized Terms: Oncology; Carcinogenesis; Tumor development and progression; Advanced diagnostics; Molecular diagnostics; Diagnosed genetic alterations in tumors; Cancer risk detection by mutational load distribution analysis
- Spatial Dynamics in Cancer, in Complex Systems Science in Biomedicine Costa, J., Gonzalez-Garcia, I., and Sole, R. (2006). Spatial Dynamics in Cancer, in Complex Systems Science in Biomedicine (Deisboeck, T.S., and Kresh, J.Y.), Chapter 6.2, pp. 557-572.
Whole genome analysis of genetic alterations in small DNA samples using hyperbranched strand displacement amplification and array-CGH.
Lage, J.M., et al. (2003). Whole genome analysis of genetic alterations in small DNA samples using hyperbranched strand displacement amplification and array-CGH. Genome Res. 13:294-307.
Detection of thyroglobulin, thyroid peroxidase, and RET/PTC1 mRNA transcripts in the peripheral blood of patients with thyroid disease.
Tallini G, Ghossein RA, Emanuel J, Gill J, Kinder B, Dimich AB, Costa J, Robbins R, Burrow GN, Rosai J. (1998) Detection of thyroglobulin, thyroid peroxidase, and RET/PTC1 mRNA transcripts in the peripheral blood of patients with thyroid disease. Journal of Clinical Pathology, Vol 16(3): 1158-1166.
The molecular biology of breast cancer: Accelerating clinical applications.
Dillon DA, Howe CL, Bosari S, Costa J. (1998) The molecular biology of breast cancer: Accelerating clinical applications. Critical Reviews in Oncogenesis. 9(2): 125-140.
Ki-ras mutation modifies the protective effect of dietary monounsaturated fat and calcium on sporadic colorectal cancer
Bautista D, Obrador A, Moreno V, Cabeza E, Canet R, Benito E, Bosch X, Costa JC. (1997) Ki-ras mutation modifies the protective effect of dietary monounsaturated fat and calcium on sporadic colorectal cancer. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers, and Prevention 6: 57-61.
Ki-ras mutations and the carcinoembryonic antigen level in fine needle aspirates of the pancreas.
Pinto MM, Emanuel JR, Chaturvedi V, Costa JC. (1997) Ki-ras mutations and the carcinoembryonic antigen level in fine needle aspirates of the pancreas. Acta Cytologica, 41 (2): 427-434.
p53, apoptosis and colon cancer,
Fazeli A, Steen RG, Dickinson SL, Bautista D, Dietrich WF, Bronson RT, Bresalier RS, Lander Es, Costa JC, Weinberg RA. (1997) p53, apoptosis and colon cancer, PNAS.
A comparative study of the NCI and FNCLLL grading systems in a population of 410 adult patients with a soft tissue sarcoma
Guillou L, Coindre J.M, Bonichon F, Biu NB, Terrier P, Collin F, Vilain M.O, Mandard A.M, ld Doussal V, Leroux A, Jacquemier J, Duplay H, Sastre X, Costa J.C. (1997) A comparative study of the NCI and FNCLLL grading systems in a population of 410 adult patients with a soft tissue sarcoma. J Clinical Oncology 15: 350-362.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Benedict M, Costa J: Metastatic Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma with Multifocal Synchronous Transformation to Anaplastic Thyroid Carcinoma. Case Rep Pathol. 2016; 2016 Sep 28. PMID: 27774331
- Samuel AM, Costa J, Lindskog DM: Genetic alterations in chondrosarcomas - keys to targeted therapies? Cell Oncol (Dordr). 2014 Apr; 2014 Jan 24. PMID: 24458248
- Blumberg JM, Jedrych J, Costa J, Judson B: Cervical dedifferentiated liposarcoma with meningothelial-like whorling. Head Neck Pathol. 2012 Dec; 2012 Apr 21. PMID: 22528826
- Azuara D, Morell M, de Oca J, Rodriguez-Moranta F, Fabregat J, Boadas J, Larochelle W, Capella G, Costa J: Mutational load distribution analysis of colorectal and pancreatic carcinoma by next generation sequencing platform. J Clin Oncol. 2012 Oct 20. PMID: 28142481
- Huang X, Narayanaswamy R, Fenn K, Szpakowski S, Sasaki C, Costa J, Blancafort P, Lizardi PM: Sequence-specific biosensors report drug-induced changes in epigenetic silencing in living cells. DNA Cell Biol. 2012 Oct; 2012 Feb 7. PMID: 22313050
- Costa J: Systems pathology: a critical review. Mol Oncol. 2012 Feb; 2011 Nov 27. PMID: 22178234
- Krepkin K, Costa J: Defining the role of cooperation in early tumor progression. J Theor Biol. 2011 Sep 21; 2011 Jul 2. PMID: 21745479
- Szpakowski S, Sun X, Lage JM, Dyer A, Rubinstein J, Kowalski D, Sasaki C, Costa J, Lizardi PM: Loss of epigenetic silencing in tumors preferentially affects primate-specific retroelements. Gene. 2009 Dec 15; 2009 Aug 21. PMID: 19699787
- Costa J: Systems approach to the practice of pathology: a new role for the pathologist. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009 Apr. PMID: 19391643
- Costa J: Is clinical systems pathology the future of pathology? Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2008 May. PMID: 18466023
- Tarafa G, Tuck D, Ladner D, Topazian M, Brand R, Deters C, Moreno V, Capella G, Lynch H, Lizardi P, Costa J: Mutational load distribution analysis yields metrics reflecting genetic instability during pancreatic carcinogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008 Mar 18; 2008 Mar 12. PMID: 18337498
- Costa J: The diagnosis of cancer: "from H and E to molecular diagnosis and back". Adv Exp Med Biol. 2006. PMID: 17163159
- Pejovic T, Ladner D, Intengan M, Zheng K, Fairchild T, Dillon D, Easley S, Dillon D, Marchetti D, Schwartz P, Lele S, Costa J, Odunsi K: Somatic D-loop mitochondrial DNA mutations are frequent in uterine serous carcinoma. Eur J Cancer. 2004 Nov. PMID: 15519528
- Garcia-Rostan G, Zhao H, Camp RL, Pollan M, Herrero A, Pardo J, Wu R, Carcangiu ML, Costa J, Tallini G: ras mutations are associated with aggressive tumor phenotypes and poor prognosis in thyroid cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2003 Sep 1. PMID: 12947056
- Lage JM, Leamon JH, Pejovic T, Hamann S, Lacey M, Dillon D, Segraves R, Vossbrinck B, González A, Pinkel D, Albertson DG, Costa J, Lizardi PM: Whole genome analysis of genetic alterations in small DNA samples using hyperbranched strand displacement amplification and array-CGH. Genome Res. 2003 Feb. PMID: 12566408
- González-García I, Solé RV, Costa J: Metapopulation dynamics and spatial heterogeneity in cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002 Oct 1; 2002 Sep 26. PMID: 12351679
- Dillon DA, Hipolito E, Zheng K, Rimm DL, Costa JC: p53 mutations as tumor markers in fine needle aspirates of palpable breast masses. Acta Cytol. 2002 Sep-Oct. PMID: 12365217