Lupus Erythematosus, Systemic
We have a longstanding interest in dissecting the pathogenesis of systemic autoimmunity, focusing upon the activation and differentiation of CD4 T effector cell subsets in mice and in humans. Our lab has characterized CD4 T cells that help B cells in murine models of lupus and in conventional immune responses, with the idea that information gleaned from the latter studies could be applied to our understanding of autoimmunity. In recent work, we have begun to define the transcription factors critical for the development and function of CD4 T cells that help B cells, with ongoing studies aimed at further investigating these cells developmentally, and dissecting the mechanisms that lead to their effector function in autoimmunity and inflammation.
Extensive Research Description
Ongoing studies are targeted towards identification of the developmental pathways of CD4 T cells that provide B cell help and that promote inflammation, and dissection of their potential to promote autoimmunity and inflammation.
- Shulman Z, Gitlin AD, Weinstein JS, Lainez B, Esplugues E, Flavell RA, Craft J, Nuzzenzweig M. T follicular helper cell Ca2+ signaling during B cell selection in germinal centers. Science. 2014. 345:1058-1062.
- Ray JP, Marshall HD, Laidlaw BJ, Staron MW, Kaech SM, Craft J. The Transcription Factor STAT3 and Type I Interferons Are Mutually Repressive Insulators for Differentiation of Follicular Helper and T Helper 1 Cells. 2014 Immunity 40:367-377. NIHMS 570364
- Laidlaw BJ, Zhang N, Marshall HD, Staron MM, Guan T, Hu Y, Cauley LS, Craft J*, Kaech SM*. CD4+ T cell help and transcription factor T-bet mediated repression of CD103 is critical for lung resident memory CD8+ T cell formation. Immunity (in press) (*co-se
- Weinstein J, Bertino SA, Hernandez SG, Poholek AC, Teplitzky TB, Nowyhed HN, Craft J. B cells in T Follicular Helper Cell Development and Function: Separable Roles in Delivery of ICOS Ligand and Antigen. J Immunol. 2014 192:3166-79. NIHMS 562781 [PMCI
- Kumamoto Y, Lineham M, Weinstein J, Laidlaw B, Craft J, Iwasaki A. CD301b+ dermal dendritic cells drive TH2 immunity. Immunity 2013. 39:733-743. PMCID: PMC3819035
- Choi JY, Kim ST, Craft J. The pathogenesis of systemic lupus erythematosus: An Update. Curr Opin Immunol. 2012. 24:651-657. 10.1016/j.coi.2012.10.004. PMCID: PMC3508331 [Available on 2013/12/1].
- Bertino SA and Craft J. Roquin Paralogs Add a New Dimension to ICOS Regulation. Immunity 2013 38:624-6. doi: 10.1016/j.immuni.2013.03.007. PMID: 23601678 [PubMed - in process]
- Craft J. Follicular helper T cells in immunity and in systemic autoimmunity. Nature Rev Rheum 8:337-47, 2012. PMCID: PMC3604997
- Marshall HD, Chandele A, Jung YW, Meng H, Poholek AC, Parish IA, Rutishauser R, Cui W, Kleinstein SH, Craft J, Kaech SM. Differential expression of Ly6C and T-bet distinguish effector and memory Th1 CD4(+) cell properties during viral infection. Immunity
- Weinstein JS, Hernandez SG, Craft J. T cells that promote B cell maturation in systemic autoimmunity. Immunol Rev 247:160-71, 2012. PMCID: PMC2110203
- Cui W, Yiu L, Weinstein J, Craft J, Kaech SM. An IL-21/IL-10/STAT3 pathway is critical for functional maturation of memory CD8+ T cells. Immunity 35:792-805, 2011. PMCID: PMC3431922
- Craft J. Dissecting the immune cell mayhem that drives lupus pathogenesis. Science Transl. Med. 3, 73ps9 2011. Reprint at: http://stm.sciencemag.org/cgi/rapidpdf/3/73/73ps9?ijkey=Ucmy6RX..HbFY&keytype=ref&siteid=scitransmed; full text at: http://stm.scie
- Poholek AC, Hansen K, Hernandez S, Eto D, Chandele A, Weinstein J, Dong X, Odegard JM, Kaech SM, Dent AL, Crotty S, Craft J. In vivo regulation of Bcl6 and T follicular helper cell development. J Immunol 185:313-236, 2010. Epub 2010 Jun 2. PMCID: PMC2891
- DiPlacido L, Craft J. Emerging from the shadows: follicular helper T cells in autoimmunity. Arthritis Rheum 62:6–8, 2010. PMCID: PMC2806501
- Quan TE, Roman RM, Rudenga BJ, Holers VM, Craft J. Epstein-barr virus promotes interferon-alpha production by plasmacytoid dendritic cells. Arthritis Rheum 2010 Feb 22. [Epub ahead of print] PMCID: PMC2885535
- Johnston RJ*, Poholek AC*, Yusuf I, DiToro D, Eto D, Barnett B, Dent AL, Craft J, Crotty S. Bcl6 and Blimp-1 are reciprocal and antagonistic regulators of follicular helper (TFH) CD4 T cell differentiation. Science 325:1006-1010, 2009. (*co-first authors
- Marks BR, Nowyhed H, Choi J-Y, Poholek AC, Odegard J, Flavell RA, Craft J. Thymic self-reactivity selects natural interleukin 17–producing T cells that can regulate peripheral inflammation. Nat Immunol 10:1125-1132, 2009. PMCID: PMC2751862
- Poholek AC and Craft J. Competing for help: New insights into the function of follicular helper T cells. (News and Commentary; invited). Immunol Cell Biology 87(6):438-9. 2009. PMID:1938115
- Odegard J*, DiPlacido L*, Greenwald L, Kashgarian M, Dong C, Flavell R, Craft J. ICOS controls effector function, but not trafficking receptor expression, of kidney-infiltrating effector T cells in murine lupus. J Immunol 182:4076-4084, 2009. (*co-first a
- Odegard J, Marks B, DiPlacido L, Poholek A, Dong C, Favell R, Craft, J. ICOS-dependent extrafollicular helper T cells elicit IgG production via IL-21 in systemic autoimmunity. J Exp Med 205:2873-86, 2008. PMCID: PMC2585848.