Breast Neoplasms; Neoplasms; Social Class; Socioeconomic Factors; Epidemiologic Factors; Health Care Quality, Access, and Evaluation; Minority Health; Health Status Disparities; Healthcare Disparities; Social Determinants of Health; Health Care
Public Health Interests
Cancer; Health Disparities; Obesity
Dr. Jones is a cancer epidemiologist who works on health disparities. Her research is focused on racial/ethnic differences in the incidence, morbidity and mortality of cancer, particularly breast cancer. Using a multidisciplinary approach, she is evaluating the role(s) of tumor characteristics, selected genetic alterations and genetic polymorphisms, as well as social class, medical care, and psychosocial factors, in explaining the lower cancer survival of African Americans as compared with Whites. Additionally, she is researching the process of screening mammography and the racial/ethnic-specific factors that influence future screening and screening outcomes. Another area of her cancer prevention research includes a study of African American/White differences in the prevalence and correlates of high-risk breast density patterns.
Extensive Research Description
- Cancer Screening Behavior in Hispanic/Latinas Living in the Northeast United States
- Cancer Disparities
- Mammography Screening in African American and White women
- Racial / ethnic differences in tumor characteristics
- Race Differences and Breast Density
- Dailey AL, Kasl SV, Lewis T, Holford T, Jones BA. Neighborhood- and Individual-level Socioeconomic Variation in Perceptions of Racial Discrimination. Ethn Health. 2010 Apr;15(2):145-63. PMID: 20407967
- Jones BA, Christensen A, Wise J, Yu H. Glutathione S-Transferase Polymorphisms and Survival in African American and White Colorectal Patients. Cancer Epidemiology. 2009; 33(3-4): 249-6. PMID: 19748847
- Calvocoressi, L., Sun, A., Kasl, S.V., Claus, E.B., and Jones, B.A. Mammography Screening of Women in their 40s. Impact of Changes in Screening Guidelines. Cancer 112: 473-480, 2008
- Jones BA, Liu WL, Ararujo A, Kasl SV, Silvera SN, Soler-Vilá H, Curnen MCG, Dubrow R. Explaining the Race Difference in Prostate Cancer Stage at Diagnosis. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention, 2008;17(10): 1-10.
- Jones, B.A., Reams, K., Calvocoressi, L., Dailey, A., Kasl, S.V., and Liston, N.M. Adequacy of Communicating Results from Screening Mammograms to African American and White Women. American Journal of Public Health 97: 531-538, 2007
- Dailey, A., Kasl, S.V., Holford, T.R., Calvocoressi, L., and Jones, B.A. Neighborhood-level Socioeconomic Predictors of Non-adherence to Mammography Screening Guidelines. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention 16(11): 2293-2303, 2007
- Jones BA, Dailey A, Calvocoressi L, Reams K, Kasl SV, Lee CH, Hsu H. Cancer Causes Control. 2005 Sep;16(7):809-21.
- Soler-Vila, H., Kasl, S.V., and Jones, B.A. Cancer-specific Beliefs and Survival: A Population-based Study of African-American and White Breast Cancer Patients. Cancer Causes and Control 16(2): 105-114, 2005
- Jones, BA, Kasl SV, Howe CL, Lachman M, Dubrow R, Curnen MM, Soler-Vila H, Beeghly A, Duan F, Owens P. Cancer. 2004 Sep 15;101(6):1293-301.
- Jones BA, Kasl SV, Curnen MGM, Owens PH, Dubrow R. Black/White Difference in Stage at Diagnosis of Breast Cancer: Severe Obesity as an Explanatory Factor. American Journal of Epidemiology 146:394-404, 1997. PMID: 9290499