Chronic Disease; Epidemiology; Genetics; Lung Neoplasms; Medical Oncology; Melanoma; Pancreatic Neoplasms; Pathology; Tuberous Sclerosis; Genomics; Biomarkers, Pharmacological
Public Health Interests
Biomarkers; Cancer Epidemiology; Cancer Survival; Dietary factors; Genomics; Pancreas Cancer
Medical Oncology: Subset Medical Oncology Faculty
The prognosis for certain localized cancers, such as Stages II & IIIA melanoma and early-stage (Stages IA-IIIA) non-small cell lung cancer is uncertain. Following curative-intent resection of the primary tumor, the long-term (5- or 10-year) overall survival for these patients can hover around 50%. At the same time, the morbidities associated with available adjuvant therapies precludes their use in the majority of these patients. Current prognostic models derived from conventional clinicopathologic parameters are insufficient to identify, at the time of diagnosis, the subset of patients at highest risk of recurrence for selective adjuvant therapy administration. The goal of my research program is to develop novel prognostic models for both early-stage non-small cell lung cancer and melanoma. Variables reflecting characteristics of the index tumor (somatic mutations, copy number variation and differential transcript profiling), the patient's germline genetics as well as lifestyle behaviors are all simultaneously considered.
Specialized Terms: Molecular cancer epidemiology; Cancer prognosis; Melanoma; Skin cancer; Lung cancer; Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors (PNETs); Tuberous Sclerosis Complex; Next generation sequencing; Somatic tumor mutations; Germline genetic variation; Immunohistochemistry-based biomarkers; Biospecimens and biobanking; Lifestyle choices associated with cancer outcome
- Gould Rothberg BE, Bracken MB and Rimm DL. 2009. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 101(7):452-474.
- Gould Rothberg BE, Berger AJ, Molinaro AM, Subtil A, Krauthammer MO, Camp RL, Bradley WR, Ariyan S, Kluger HM and Rimm DL. 2009. Journal of Clinical Oncology 27(34): 5772-5780.
- Gould Rothberg BE, Magriples U, Kershaw TS, Rising SS & Ickovics JR. 2011. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 204(1): 52. e1-e11.
- Gould Rothberg BE, Bullcoh KJ, Fine JA, Barnhill RL and Berwick M. 2014. Cancer Epidemiology 38(5): pp 599-607
- Gould Rothberg BE and Rothberg JM. 2015. Clinical Chemistry 61(7): pp 997-998.
- In: Handbook of Geriatric Oncology. Kroc-Grodzicki M and Tew W eds. 2016.