Chronic Disease; Epidemiology; Genetics; Lung Neoplasms; Medical Oncology; Melanoma; Pancreatic Neoplasms; Pathology; Tuberous Sclerosis; Genomics; Biomarkers, Pharmacological
Public Health Interests
Biomarkers; Cancer Epidemiology; Cancer Survival; Dietary factors; Genomics; Pancreas Cancer
Medical Oncology: Subset Medical Oncology Faculty
Obesity Research Working Group
The prognosis for certain localized cancers, such as Stages II & IIIA melanoma and early-stage (Stages IA-IIIA) non-small cell lung cancer is uncertain. Following curative-intent resection of the primary tumor, the long-term (5- or 10-year) overall survival for these patients can hover around 50%. At the same time, the morbidities associated with available adjuvant therapies precludes their use in the majority of these patients. Current prognostic models derived from conventional clinicopathologic parameters are insufficient to identify, at the time of diagnosis, the subset of patients at highest risk of recurrence for selective adjuvant therapy administration. The goal of my research program is to develop novel prognostic models for both early-stage non-small cell lung cancer and melanoma. Variables reflecting characteristics of the index tumor (somatic mutations, copy number variation and differential transcript profiling), the patient's germline genetics as well as lifestyle behaviors are all simultaneously considered.
Specialized Terms: Molecular cancer epidemiology; Cancer prognosis; Melanoma; Skin cancer; Lung cancer; Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors (PNETs); Tuberous Sclerosis Complex; Next generation sequencing; Somatic tumor mutations; Germline genetic variation; Immunohistochemistry-based biomarkers; Biospecimens and biobanking; Lifestyle choices associated with cancer outcome
Tissue biomarkers for prognosis in cutaneous melanoma: A systematic review and meta-analysis
Gould Rothberg BE, Bracken MB and Rimm DL. 2009. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 101(7):452-474.
A melanoma prognostic model using tissue microarrays and genetic algorithms
Gould Rothberg BE, Berger AJ, Molinaro AM, Subtil A, Krauthammer MO, Camp RL, Bradley WR, Ariyan S, Kluger HM and Rimm DL. 2009. Journal of Clinical Oncology 27(34): 5772-5780.
Gestational weight gain and subsequent post-partum weight loss among young, low-income ethnic minority women
Gould Rothberg BE, Magriples U, Kershaw TS, Rising SS & Ickovics JR. 2011. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 204(1): 52. e1-e11.
Red meat and fruit intake is prognostic among patients with localized cutaneous melanomas more than 1 mm thick
Gould Rothberg BE, Bullcoh KJ, Fine JA, Barnhill RL and Berwick M. 2014. Cancer Epidemiology 38(5): pp 599-607
Massively parallel ("Next-generation)" DNA sequencing
Gould Rothberg BE and Rothberg JM. 2015. Clinical Chemistry 61(7): pp 997-998.
- Survivorship care for older adults with cancer: the role of primary care physicians and the utility of care plans as a communication tool In: Handbook of Geriatric Oncology. Kroc-Grodzicki M and Tew W eds. 2017.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Srisuttiyakorn C, Bulloch K, Rodic N, Bosenberg M, Ariyan S, Narayan D, Gould Rothberg BE, Galan A: Intratumoral multinucleated giant cells are not a prognostic pathologic feature in cutaneous melanoma. J Cutan Pathol. 2016 Oct; 2016 Jun 30. PMID: 27246995
- Gould Rothberg BE, Rothberg JM: Massively parallel ("next-generation") DNA sequencing. Clin Chem. 2015 Jul; 2015 Apr 28. PMID: 25922443
- Gould Rothberg BE, Bulloch KJ, Fine JA, Barnhill RL, Berwick M: Red meat and fruit intake is prognostic among patients with localized cutaneous melanomas more than 1mm thick. Cancer Epidemiol. 2014 Oct; 2014 Sep 5. PMID: 25194935
- Dhamija A, Rosen JE, Dhamija A, Gould Rothberg BE, Kim AW, Detterbeck FC, Boffa DJ: Learning curve to lymph node resection in minimally invasive esophagectomy for cancer. Innovations (Phila). 2014 Jul-Aug. PMID: 25084251
- Viray H, Bradley WR, Schalper KA, Rimm DL, Gould Rothberg BE: Marginal and joint distributions of S100, HMB-45, and Melan-A across a large series of cutaneous melanomas. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2013 Aug. PMID: 23899062
- Damsky WE, Curley DP, Santhanakrishnan M, Rosenbaum LE, Platt JT, Gould Rothberg BE, Taketo MM, Dankort D, Rimm DL, McMahon M, Bosenberg M: β-catenin signaling controls metastasis in Braf-activated Pten-deficient melanomas. Cancer Cell. 2011 Dec 13. PMID: 22172720
- Gould Rothberg BE, Magriples U, Kershaw TS, Rising SS, Ickovics JR: Gestational weight gain and subsequent postpartum weight loss among young, low-income, ethnic minority women. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011 Jan; 2010 Oct 25. PMID: 20974459
- Gould Rothberg BE, Rimm DL: Biomarkers: the useful and the not so useful--an assessment of molecular prognostic markers for cutaneous melanoma. J Invest Dermatol. 2010 Aug; 2010 Jun 17. PMID: 20555347
- Gould Rothberg BE, Berger AJ, Molinaro AM, Subtil A, Krauthammer MO, Camp RL, Bradley WR, Ariyan S, Kluger HM, Rimm DL: Melanoma prognostic model using tissue microarrays and genetic algorithms. J Clin Oncol. 2009 Dec 1; 2009 Nov 2. PMID: 19884546
- Lazova R, Gould Rothberg BE, Rimm D, Scott G: The semaphorin 7A receptor Plexin C1 is lost during melanoma metastasis. Am J Dermatopathol. 2009 Apr. PMID: 19318806
- Gould Rothberg BE, Bracken MB, Rimm DL: Tissue biomarkers for prognosis in cutaneous melanoma: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2009 Apr 1; 2009 Mar 24. PMID: 19318635
- Kreizenbeck GM, Berger AJ, Subtil A, Rimm DL, Gould Rothberg BE: Prognostic significance of cadherin-based adhesion molecules in cutaneous malignant melanoma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008 Apr. PMID: 18398036
- Gould Rothberg BE, Bracken MB: E-cadherin immunohistochemical expression as a prognostic factor in infiltrating ductal carcinoma of the breast: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2006 Nov; 2006 Jun 22. PMID: 16791476
- Gould Rothberg BE, Grooms MC, Dharnidharka VR: Rapid growth of a kidney angiomyolipoma after initiation of oral contraceptive therapy. Obstet Gynecol. 2006 Sep. PMID: 17018483
- Basson MD, Liu YW, Hanly AM, Emenaker NJ, Shenoy SG, Gould Rothberg BE: Identification and comparative analysis of human colonocyte short-chain fatty acid response genes. J Gastrointest Surg. 2000 Sep-Oct. PMID: 11077326