Elizabeth Brooks Claus PhD, MD
Professor of Public Health (Biostatistics); Director of Medical Research, School of Public Health; Director of Stereotactic Radiosurgery, Department of Neurosurgery, Brigham and Women's Hospital
Meningioma; Genome-wide association study; DCIS; Low-grade glioma; Risk prediction; Genetic epidemiology; CNS breast metastases; Intra-operative MRI; LCIS; Acoustic neuroma; Radiation-associated meningioma; stereotatic radiotherapy
- The Yale Breast Study
- The DCIS and BRCA1/2 Cohort Study
- The Meningioma Consortium Project
- The Meningioma Family Study
- The Menigioma Genome-Wide Association Study
- GLIOGENE (Genes for Glioma)
- The International Glioma Case/Control Study
Dr. Claus works in cancer epidemiology and statistical genetics with emphasis on the development of risk models for breast and ovarian cancer and tumors of the central nervous system (CNS). She is principal investigator of a study of 2000 female Connecticut residents examining the clinical (including mammographic density), genetic, and epidemiologic characteristics of breast carcinoma in-situ (BCIS), and following these women over time to better define their long-term outcomes, including those with mutations in two breast cancer susceptibility genes, BRCA1 and BRCA2. Dr. Claus is a neurosurgeon working in neuro-oncologic surgery, including the intra-operative use of magnetic resonance therapy and computer guided imagery for brain tumor removal, including glioma and metastatic lesions to the CNS, particularly metastatic breast cancer. She has recently received funding from NIH to commence the first national study of meningioma. This multi-state project will enroll over 3000 subjects to define genetic and environmental risk factors for meingioma as well as identify pedigrees with multiple family members affected with meningioma. Dr. Claus is also co-investigator in the GLIOGENE project, an international effort to identify genes associated with glioma.
- Bainbridge M, Armstrong G, Gramatges M, Bertuch A, Jhangiani S,
Doddapaneni H, Lewis L, Tombrello J, Tsavachidis S, Liu Y, Jalali A,
Plon S, Lau C, Parsons W, Claus EB, Barnholtz-Sloan J, Il'Yasova D,
Schildkraut J, Ali-Osman F, Sadetzki S, Johansen C, Houlston R,
Jenkins R, Lachance D, Olson S, Bernstein J, Merrell R, Wrensch M,
Walsh K, Davis F, Lai R, Shete S, Aldape K, Amos C, Thompson P, The
Gliogene Consortium, Muzny DM, Gibbs R, Melin B, and Bondy ML. Germline
mutations in POT1 is associated with familial glioma. J Natl Cancer Inst
- Claus EB, Walsh K, Wiencke J, Molinaro AM, Schildkraut JM, Bondy M,
Berger M, Wiemels J, Jenkins R, Wrensch M. Survival and Low Grade Glioma:
The Emergence of Genetic Information. Neurosurgical Focus (In Press)
- Rajakesari S, Arvold N, Jimenez RB, Christianson LW, Horvath M, Claus EB
et al. Local Control after Fractionated Stereotactic Radiation Therapy
for Brain Metastases. J Neurooncol. 2014 Jul 25. [Epub ahead of print]
- Schildkraut JM, Calvocoressi L, Wang F, Wrensch M, Bondy ML, Wiemels JL,
Claus EB. Endogenous and Exogenous Hormone Exposure and the Risk of
Meningioma in Men. J Neurosurg online January 31, 2014;
- Wiemels J, Bracchi P, Schildkraut J, Wrensch M, Bondy M, Pfefferle J, Zhou
M, Sison J, Calvocoressi L, Claus EB. Effect of Gender on the Production
of Autoantibodies to Meningioma Antigens. Am J Epidemiol 2013;177:75-83
- Claus EB, Calvocoressi L, Bondy M, Schildkraut J, Wiemels J, Wrensch M.
Dental X-rays and Risk of Meningioma. Cancer. 2012 Sep 15;118(18):4530-7.
- Claus EB, Calvocoressi L, Bondy M, Wrensch M, Wiemels J, Schildkraut J.
Exogenous Hormone Use, Reproductive Factors and the Risk of Intra-Cranial
Meningioma in Females. J Neurosurg 2012 Oct 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Liu Y, Melin BS, Rajaraman P, Wang Z, Linet M, Shete S et al. Insight in
glioma susceptibility through an analysis of 6p22.3, 12p13.33-12.1,
17q22-23.2 and 18q23 SNP genotypes in familial and non-familial glioma.
Hum Genet. 2012 Sep;131(9):1507-17. Epub 2012 Jun 12.
- Claus EB. Neurosurgical management of metastases in the central nervous
System. Nat Rev Clin Oncol 2012; 9, 79–86; published online 6
- Shete S, Lau C, Houlston R, Claus EB, Barnholtz-Sloan J, Lai R et al. A
High-density SNP Genome-wide Linkage Search identifies Susceptibility
Loci for Glioma: Results from the GLIOGENE Consortium. Cancer Res 2011
Dec 15;71(24):7568-75. Epub 2011 Oct 28.