Harvey A Risch MD, PhD
Professor of Epidemiology (Chronic Diseases)
Cancer etiology and prevention; Epidemiologic methods; Pancreatic cancer; Ovarian cancer; Gastric cancer; Esophageal cancer; Expert work-product
Dr. Risch's research interests are in the areas of cancer etiology and prevention, and in epidemiology methods. He is especially interested in the effects of reproductive factors, diet, genetic predisposition, and histopathologic factors in the causation of ovarian cancer, and these factors as well as infection and immune functioning in the etiology of pancreatic cancer. His major research projects have included studies of ovarian cancer, pancreas cancer, lung cancer, bladder cancer, esophageal and stomach cancer, and of cancers related to usage of oral contraceptives and noncontraceptive estrogens. Dr. Risch is an Associate Editor of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, the American Journal of Epidemiology, and the International Journal of Cancer.
- Risch, H.A., Yu, H., Lu, L., and Kidd, M.S. ABO blood group, Helicobacter pylori seropositivity, and risk of pancreatic cancer: a case-control study. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 102: 502-505, 2010.
- Risch, H.A., McLaughlin, J.R., Cole, D.E., Rosen, B., Bradley, L., Fan, I., Tang, J., Li, S., Zhang, S., Shaw, P.A., and Narod, S.A. Population BRCA1 and BRCA2 Mutation Frequencies and Cancer Penetrances: A Kin-Cohort Study in Ontario, Canada. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 98: 1694-1706, 2006.
- Risch, H.A. Etiology of pancreatic cancer, with a hypothesis concerning the role of N-nitroso compounds and excess gastric acidity. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 95: 948-960, 2003.
- Risch, H.A. Hormonal etiology of epithelial ovarian cancer, with a hypothesis concerning the role of androgens and progesterone. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 90: 1774-1786, 1998.
- Gammon, M.D., Schoenberg, J.B., Ahsan, H., Risch, H.A., Vaughan, T.L., Chow, W.H., Rotterdam, H., West, A.B., Dubrow, R. Stanford, J.L., Mayne, S.T., Farrow, D.C., Niwa, S., Blot, W.J. and Fraumeni, J.F., Jr. Tobacco, alcohol, and socioeconomic status and adenocarcinomas of the esophagus and gastric cardia. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 89: 1277-1284, 1997.
- Risch, H.A., Marrett, L.D., Jain, M. and Howe, G.R. Differences in risk factors for epithelial ovarian cancer by histologic types: results of a case-control study. American Journal of Epidemiology 144: 363-372, 1996.
- Risch, H.A. Estrogen replacement therapy and risk of epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecologic Oncology 63: 254-257, 1996
- Risch, H.A. and Howe, G.R. Pelvic inflammatory disease and the risk of epithelial ovarian cancer. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention 4: 447-51, 1995.
- Risch, H.A., Howe, G.R., Jain, M., Burch, J.D., Holowaty, E.J. and Miller, A.B. Are female smokers at higher risk for lung cancer than male smokers? A case-control analysis by histologic type. American Journal of Epidemiology 138: 281-293, 1993