Ravinder Nath PhD, FACR
Professor of Therapeutic Radiology; Chief of Radiological Physics; Director, Cesium-137 and X-ray Irradiation Facilities for Research
Radiation Oncology Physics; Dose calculations; Dosimetry measurements and delivery techniques; Brachytherapy sources and Physics; Radiation devices; Tumor and normal tissue imaging; Radiation Biology
Current projects include development of new brachytherapy modalities, dosimetry of new brachytherapy sources using TLD and gamma ray spectroscopy, stereotactic radiosurgery, evaluation of the impact of edema on the dosimetry of prostate implants.
More than half of the cancer patients receive radiation treatment. The goal of radiation treatment of cancer is to deliver a lethal dose to the tumor volume without exceeding the tolerance of surrounding normal tissues. This is achievable by current treatment techniques for about half of the patients receiving radiation with a curative intent. About half of these patients fail locally within the tumor volume itself.
Our research is aimed to benefit these patients who should not have failed locally. The overall objective of the research in radiological physics is to develop and utilize new physical techniques of tumor and normal tissue imaging, dose calculations, dosimetry measurements and delivery techniques, and to develop new physical modalities such as new brachytherapy sources, new radiation devices, etc.
- Abolfath RM, Carlson DJ, Chen ZJ, Nath R. A molecular dynamics simulation of DNA damage induction by ionizing radiation. Phys Med Biol. 2013 Oct 21;58(20):7143-57. doi: 10.1088/0031-9155/58/20/7143. Epub 2013 Sep 20.
- MJ Rivard, S Chiu-Tsao, PT Finger, AS Meigooni, CS Melhus, F Mourtada, ME Napolitano, DWO Rogers , RM Thomson, R Nath, “Comparison of dose calculation methods for brachytherapy of intraocular tumors. Med Phys 2011 in press.
- R Nath, WS Bice, WM Butler, Z Chen, AS Meigooni, V Narayana, MJ Rivard, Y Yu, “AAPM recommendations on dose prescription and reporting methods for permanent interstitial brachytherapy for prostate cancer: report of Task Group 137. Med Phys 36(11):5310-5322, 2009.
- R Nath, Z Chen, “Silver fluorescent x-ray yield and its influence on the dose rate constant for nine low-energy brachytherapy source models”. Med Phys 34(10):3785-3793, 2007.
- R Nath, P Bongiorni, Z Chen, J Gragnano, S Rockwell, “Dose rate dependence of the relative biological effectiveness of 103Pd for continuous low dose rate irradiation of BA1112 rhabdomyosarcoma cells in vitro relative to acute exposures”. Int J Radiat Biol 81(9):689-699, 2005.
- R Nath, H Amols, C Coffey, S Jani, Z Li, M Schell, C Soares, J Whiting, PE Cole, I Crocker, R Schwartz, “Intravascular brachytherapy physics: report of the AAPM radiation therapy committee task group no. 60”. Med Phys 26(2):119-152, 1999.
- R Nath, LL Anderson, G Luxton, KA Weaver, JF Williamson, AS Meigooni, "Dosimetry of interstitial brachytherapy sources: recommendations of the AAPM Radiation Therapy Committee Task Group No. 43". Med Phys 22:209-234, 1995.