Genetics; Neoplastic Syndromes, Hereditary; Urinary Tract; Urologic Neoplasms
Public Health Interests
Biomarkers; Cancer; Cancer Epidemiology; Cancer genetics; Cancer screening; Cancer Survival; Clinical Trials; Genetic epidemiology; Genetics; Genomics; Health Services Research; Kidney Disease; Metabolism; Microarray; Prostate cancer
1) Molecular characterization of sporadic and hereditary kidney cancer
2) Development of novel therapeutic strategies for Kidney cancer
3) Development of novel biomarkers to avoid overtreatment of small renal masses
4) Integration of molecular diagnostics and Genomics data to patient care
Extensive Research Description
1) Development of a Genitourinary Biorepository- currently we are establishing a GU cancer repository with well anotated clinical information. This will be a major resource for the Smilow Cancer center as any investigator wishing to perform translational research will have access to cancer tissue, urine, and blood samples.
2) Kidney Cancer Genetics Evaluation Program- This clinical program is focus on the identification of new kidney cancer syndromes. All patients are referred through the team for whole genome sequencing. We have a CLIA approved gene panel for kidney cancer. The other genes are for research purposes. Creation of cell lined and having available tissue will allow characterization of potential new germline cancer syndromes
3) Neoadjuvant RCC trials- We have submitted proposals to treat patients with metastatic disease with novel immunotherapy prior to cytoreductive surgery for clear cell RCC. The primary end point is to see if we can have a much improved systemic response harnessing the primary tumor to interact with the immune system. We have conditional approval from 2 companies to partner with us for the protocol.
4) Active surveillance RCC trial- we are creating a trial aimed at avoiding overtreatment of small tumors. We plan on opening this shortly and will use advanced genomic techniques for tumor characterization
5) Genomic heterogeneity in Small renal masses- My K08 evaluates the impact of molecular subtype, driver copy number changes, and driver mutations in various regions of kidney cancer. We investigate how this impacts selection of therapy in patients with small renal masses.
Genomic characterization of sarcomatoid transformation in clear cell renal cell carcinoma.
Bi, M., Zhao, S., Said, J. W., Merino, M. J., Adeniran, A. J., Xie, Z., et al. (2016). Genomic characterization of sarcomatoid transformation in clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 113(8), 2170–2175.
Comprehensive Molecular Characterization of Papillary Renal-Cell Carcinoma.
Linehan, W. M., Spellman, P. T., Ricketts, C. J., Creighton, C. J., Fei, S. S., Davis, C., et al. (2015). Comprehensive Molecular Characterization of Papillary Renal-Cell Carcinoma. N Engl J Med.
Multilevel Genomics-Based Taxonomy of Renal Cell Carcinoma.
Chen, F., Zhang, Y., Şenbabaoğlu, Y., Ciriello, G., Yang, L., Reznik, E., et al. (2016). Multilevel Genomics-Based Taxonomy of Renal Cell Carcinoma. Cell Reports.
MET Inhibition in Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma.
Xie, Z., Lee, Y. H., Boeke, M., Jilaveanu, L. B., Liu, Z., Bottaro, D. P., et al. (2016). MET Inhibition in Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma. Journal of Cancer, 7(10), 1205–1214.
Racial disparities in renal cell carcinoma: a single-payer healthcare experience.
Mafolasire, A., Yao, X., Nawaf, C., Suarez-Sarmiento, A., Chow, W.-H., Zhao, W., et al. (2016). Racial disparities in renal cell carcinoma: a single-payer healthcare experience. Cancer Medicine.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Syed JS, Nguyen KA, Wu CQ, Cost NG, Siddiqui MM, Hittelman AB, Shuch B: Distinguishing pediatric and adolescent renal cell carcinoma from other renal malignancies. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2017 May; 2016 Nov 2. PMID: 27805307
- Nguyen KA, Syed JS, Shuch B: Hereditary Kidney Cancer Syndromes and Surgical Management of the Small Renal Mass. Urol Clin North Am. 2017 May; 2017 Mar 14. PMID: 28411908
- Syed JS, Nawaf CB, Rosoff J, Bryson C, Nguyen KA, Suarez-Sarmiento A, Serrano M, Kibel AS, Humphrey P, Shuch B, Adeniran AJ: Adverse pathologic characteristics in the small renal mass: implications for active surveillance. Can J Urol. 2017 Apr. PMID: 28436365
- Li S, Shuch BM, Gerstein MB: Whole-genome analysis of papillary kidney cancer finds significant noncoding alterations. PLoS Genet. 2017 Mar; 2017 Mar 30. PMID: 28358873
- Nguyen KA, Vourganti S, Syed JS, Luciano R, Campbell SC, Shuch B: End-stage renal disease secondary to renal malignancy: Epidemiologic trends and survival outcomes. Urol Oncol. 2017 Mar 28; 2017 Mar 28. PMID: 28363473
- Agarwal N, Shuch B, Pal SK: Up-front Targeted Therapy Prior to Cytoreductive Nephrectomy in Treatment-Naive Patients With Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma. JAMA Oncol. 2016 Oct 1. PMID: 27254305
- Mafolasire A, Yao X, Nawaf C, Suarez-Sarmiento A, Chow WH, Zhao W, Corley D, Hofmann JN, Purdue M, Adeniran AJ, Shuch B: Racial disparities in renal cell carcinoma: a single-payer healthcare experience. Cancer Med. 2016 Aug; 2016 May 26. PMID: 27228559
- Xie Z, Lee YH, Boeke M, Jilaveanu LB, Liu Z, Bottaro DP, Kluger HM, Shuch B: MET Inhibition in Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma. J Cancer. 2016; 2016 Jun 18. PMID: 27390595
- Chen F, Zhang Y, Şenbabaoğlu Y, Ciriello G, Yang L, Reznik E, Shuch B, Micevic G, De Velasco G, Shinbrot E, Noble MS, Lu Y, Covington KR, Xi L, Drummond JA, Muzny D, Kang H, Lee J, Tamboli P, Reuter V, Shelley CS, Kaipparettu BA, Bottaro DP, Godwin AK, Gibbs RA, Getz G, Kucherlapati R, Park PJ, Sander C, Henske EP, Zhou JH, Kwiatkowski DJ, Ho TH, Choueiri TK, Hsieh JJ, Akbani R, Mills GB, Hakimi AA, Wheeler DA, Creighton CJ: Multilevel Genomics-Based Taxonomy of Renal Cell Carcinoma. Cell Rep. 2016 Mar 15; 2016 Mar 3. PMID: 26947078
- Booth L, Shuch B, Albers T, Roberts JL, Tavallai M, Proniuk S, Zukiwski A, Wang D, Chen CS, Bottaro D, Ecroyd H, Lebedyeva IO, Dent P: Multi-kinase inhibitors can associate with heat shock proteins through their NH2-termini by which they suppress chaperone function. Oncotarget. 2016 Mar 15. PMID: 26887051
- Bi M, Zhao S, Said JW, Merino MJ, Adeniran AJ, Xie Z, Nawaf CB, Choi J, Belldegrun AS, Pantuck AJ, Kluger HM, Bilgüvar K, Lifton RP, Shuch B: Genomic characterization of sarcomatoid transformation in clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016 Feb 23; 2016 Feb 10. PMID: 26864202
- Adeniran AJ, Shuch B, Humphrey PA: Hereditary Renal Cell Carcinoma Syndromes: Clinical, Pathologic, and Genetic Features. Am J Surg Pathol. 2015 Dec. PMID: 26559379
- Humphrey PA, Shuch B: Seminoma in Cryptorchid Testis in Prune Belly Syndrome. J Urol. 2015 Sep; 2015 Jun 6. PMID: 26057338
- Hofmann JN, Corley DA, Colt JS, Shuch B, Chow WH, Purdue MP: The authors respond. Epidemiology. 2015 Jul. PMID: 25899997
- Motzer RJ, Jonasch E, Agarwal N, Beard C, Bhayani S, Bolger GB, Chang SS, Choueiri TK, Costello BA, Derweesh IH, Gupta S, Hancock SL, Kim JJ, Kuzel TM, Lam ET, Lau C, Levine EG, Lin DW, Michaelson MD, Olencki T, Pili R, Plimack ER, Rampersaud EN, Redman BG, Ryan CJ, Sheinfeld J, Shuch B, Sircar K, Somer B, Wilder RB, Dwyer M, Kumar R, National comprehensive cancer network.: Kidney cancer, version 3.2015. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2015 Feb. PMID: 25691606
- Shuch B, Falbo R, Parisi F, Adeniran A, Kluger Y, Kluger HM, Jilaveanu LB: MET Expression in Primary and Metastatic Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma: Implications of Correlative Biomarker Assessment to MET Pathway Inhibitors. Biomed Res Int. 2015; 2015 Sep 13. PMID: 26448928
- Hofmann JN, Corley DA, Zhao WK, Colt JS, Shuch B, Chow WH, Purdue MP: Chronic kidney disease and risk of renal cell carcinoma: differences by race. Epidemiology. 2015 Jan. PMID: 25393631
- Shuch B, Amin A, Armstrong AJ, Eble JN, Ficarra V, Lopez-Beltran A, Martignoni G, Rini BI, Kutikov A: Understanding pathologic variants of renal cell carcinoma: distilling therapeutic opportunities from biologic complexity. Eur Urol. 2015 Jan; 2014 May 21. PMID: 24857407
- Barr ML, Jilaveanu LB, Camp RL, Adeniran AJ, Kluger HM, Shuch B: PAX-8 expression in renal tumours and distant sites: a useful marker of primary and metastatic renal cell carcinoma? J Clin Pathol. 2015 Jan; 2014 Oct 14. PMID: 25315900
- Davis CF, Ricketts CJ, Wang M, Yang L, Cherniack AD, Shen H, Buhay C, Kang H, Kim SC, Fahey CC, Hacker KE, Bhanot G, Gordenin DA, Chu A, Gunaratne PH, Biehl M, Seth S, Kaipparettu BA, Bristow CA, Donehower LA, Wallen EM, Smith AB, Tickoo SK, Tamboli P, Reuter V, Schmidt LS, Hsieh JJ, Choueiri TK, Hakimi AA, Cancer Genome Atlas Research Network., Chin L, Meyerson M, Kucherlapati R, Park WY, Robertson AG, Laird PW, Henske EP, Kwiatkowski DJ, Park PJ, Morgan M, Shuch B, Muzny D, Wheeler DA, Linehan WM, Gibbs RA, Rathmell WK, Creighton CJ: The somatic genomic landscape of chromophobe renal cell carcinoma. Cancer Cell. 2014 Sep 8; 2014 Aug 21. PMID: 25155756
- Agochukwu N, Shuch B: Clinical management of renal cell carcinoma with venous tumor thrombus. World J Urol. 2014 Jun; 2014 Apr 22. PMID: 24752606
- Shuch B, Hanley JM, Lai JC, Vourganti S, Setodji CM, Dick AW, Chow WH, Saigal CS, Urologic Diseases in America Project.: Adverse health outcomes associated with surgical management of the small renal mass. J Urol. 2014 Feb; 2013 Sep 6. PMID: 24012580
- Shuch B, Hanley J, Lai J, Vourganti S, Kim SP, Setodji CM, Dick AW, Chow WH, Saigal C, Urologic Diseases in America Project.: Overall survival advantage with partial nephrectomy: a bias of observational data? Cancer. 2013 Aug 15; 2013 May 14. PMID: 23674264