Inflammation; Lung Neoplasms; Neoplasm Metastasis; Pathology; Genomics; Neoplasm Micrometastasis
Public Health Interests
Cancer genetics; Genomics
Stem Cell Center, Yale: Stem Cell Niche and Homing | Transcriptional Regulation of Stem and Progenitor Cells
Cancer metastasis remains an unresolved clinical and biological problem. This is particularly relevant in the case of thoracic malignancies, which can spread aggressively to multiple distant organs with limited opportunity for effective therapeutic intervention. Metastatic lung cancer cells are believed to acquire complex biological properties by deregulating pleiotoropic genetic programs and interacting with their microenvironment. My laboratory is interested in uncovering the molecular, cellular, and physiological determinants of metastasis by different lung cancers. In this endeavor, we utilize a variety of approaches such as animal modeling, cell biology, bioinformatics, and clinical validation.
Specialized Terms: Metastasis; Lung cancer; Cancer genomics; Tumor microenvironment
Control of alveolar differentiation by the lineage transcription factors GATA6 and HOPX inhibits lung adenocarcinoma metastasis.
Cheung, W.K.C., Zhao, M., Liu, Z., Stevens, L.E., Cao, P.D., Fang, J.E., Westbrook, T.F., and Nguyen, D.X. (2013). Control of alveolar differentiation by the lineage transcription factors GATA6 and HOPX inhibits lung adenocarcinoma metastasis. Cancer Cell, 23 (6): 725-738. Featured article.
Tracing the origins of metastasis.
Nguyen DX. (2011). Tracing the origins of metastasis. J Pathol. 223(2): 196-205.
WNT/TCF signaling through LEF1 and HOXB9 mediates lung adenocarcinoma metastasis.
Nguyen, D.X., Chiang, A.C., Zhang, H.F.X., Kim, J.Y., Kris, M.G., Ladanyi, M., Gerald, W.L., and Massague, J. WNT/TCF signaling through LEF1 and HOXB9 mediates lung adenocarcinoma metastasis. Cell, 138(1): 51-62 (2009).
Tumor self-seeding by circulating cancer cells.
Kim, M-Y., Oskarsson, T., Acharyya, S., Nguyen, D.X., Zhang, X-F., Norton, L., and Massague, J. Tumor self-seeding by circulating cancer cells. Cell, 139 (7): 1315-1326 (2009).
Genes that mediate metastasis through the blood-brain barrier.
Bos, P.D., Zhang, H.F.X., Nadal, C., Shu. W., Gomis. R.R., Nguyen, D.X., Minn, A.J., Van de Vijver, M., Gerald, W.L., Foekens, J.A., and Massague, J. Genes that mediate metastasis through the blood-brain barrier. Nature, 459: 1005-9 (2009).
Mediators of vascular remodeling co-opted for sequential steps in lung metastasis.
4. Gupta, G.P.*, Nguyen, D.X.*, Chiang, A.C., Bos, P.D., Kim, J.Y., Nadal, C., Shu, W., Gomis, R.R., Todorova-Manova, K., and Massagué, J. (2007). Mediators of vascular remodeling co-opted for sequential steps in lung metastasis. Nature, 446: 765–770. *Authors contributed equally.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Arnal-Estapé A, Nguyen DX: Sweets for a bitter end: lung cancer cell-surface protein glycosylation mediates metastatic colonization. Cancer Discov. 2015 Feb. PMID: 25656895
- Haskins JW, Nguyen DX, Stern DF: Neuregulin 1-activated ERBB4 interacts with YAP to induce Hippo pathway target genes and promote cell migration. Sci Signal. 2014 Dec 9; 2014 Dec 9. PMID: 25492965
- Karlin KL, Mondal G, Hartman JK, Tyagi S, Kurley SJ, Bland CS, Hsu TY, Renwick A, Fang JE, Migliaccio I, Callaway C, Nair A, Dominguez-Vidana R, Nguyen DX, Osborne CK, Schiff R, Yu-Lee LY, Jung SY, Edwards DP, Hilsenbeck SG, Rosen JM, Zhang XH, Shaw CA, Couch FJ, Westbrook TF: The oncogenic STP axis promotes triple-negative breast cancer via degradation of the REST tumor suppressor. Cell Rep. 2014 Nov 20; 2014 Nov 6. PMID: 25453754
- Zito G, Saotome I, Liu Z, Ferro EG, Sun TY, Nguyen DX, Bilguvar K, Ko CJ, Greco V: Spontaneous tumour regression in keratoacanthomas is driven by Wnt/retinoic acid signalling cross-talk. Nat Commun. 2014 Mar 26; 2014 Mar 26. PMID: 24667544
- Cao J, Liu Z, Cheung WK, Zhao M, Chen SY, Chan SW, Booth CJ, Nguyen DX, Yan Q: Histone demethylase RBP2 is critical for breast cancer progression and metastasis. Cell Rep. 2014 Mar 13; 2014 Feb 27. PMID: 24582965
- Breindel JL, Haskins JW, Cowell EP, Zhao M, Nguyen DX, Stern DF: EGF receptor activates MET through MAPK to enhance non-small cell lung carcinoma invasion and brain metastasis. Cancer Res. 2013 Aug 15; 2013 Jun 21. PMID: 23794705
- Cheung WK, Zhao M, Liu Z, Stevens LE, Cao PD, Fang JE, Westbrook TF, Nguyen DX: Control of alveolar differentiation by the lineage transcription factors GATA6 and HOPX inhibits lung adenocarcinoma metastasis. Cancer Cell. 2013 Jun 10; 2013 May 23. PMID: 23707782
- Cao PD, Cheung WK, Nguyen DX: Cell lineage specification in tumor progression and metastasis. Discov Med. 2011 Oct. PMID: 22031670
- Nguyen DX: Tracing the origins of metastasis. J Pathol. 2011 Jan; 2010 Oct 29. PMID: 21125675