Narendra Wajapeyee PhD
Assistant Professor of Pathology
Cancer; Genomics; RNAi; Senescence; DNA methylation; RNAi delivery to cancer cells
Cancer is a complex disease and typically involves multiple gene-specific and global genetic and epigenetic changes in human genome. The major class of genes that has been causally linked to the process of tumorigensis is tumor suppressors, which acts as a “breaks” and oncogenes, which functions as “accelerators” and typically promotes cancer. Recently, microRNAs are also linked to cancer wherein they can function either as tumor suppressors or oncogenes. The focus of our lab is to understand the mechanisms of genetic and epigenetic regulation of cancer causing genes and translating this understanding for early detection and treatment of human cancers.
- Romi Gupta, Yuying Dong, Peter D. Solomon, Hiromi I Wettersten, Christopher Cheng, Jin-Na Min, Jeremy D. Henson, Shaillay K. Dogra, Sung H. Hwang, Bruce D. Hammock, Lihua J. Zhu, Roger R. Reddel, W. Mark Saltzman, Robert H. Weiss, Sandy Chang, Michael R. Green and Narendra Wajapeyee. Synergistic tumor suppression by combined inhibition of telomerase and CDKN1A. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, June 27, 2014 (in press).
- Ling Lin, Lynn Chamberlain, Magnolia L. Pak, Arvindhan Nagarajan, Romi Gupta, Lihua J. Zhu, Casey M. Wright, Kwun M. Fong, Narendra Wajapeyee and Michael R. Green. A Large-Scale RNAi-Based Mouse Tumorigenesis Screen Identifies New Lung Cancer Tumor Suppressors that Repress FGFR Signaling. June 27, 2014. Cancer Discovery (in press).
- Arvindhan Nagarajan, Shaillay K. Dogra, Alex Y. Liu, Michael R. Green and Narendra Wajapeyee. PEA15 regulates the DNA damage induced cell cycle checkpoint and oncogene-directed transformation. Molecular and Cellular Biology, 2014 Jun 15;34(12):2264-2282. Epub 2014 Apr 7.
- Matteo Forloni, Shaillay Kumar Dogra, Yuying Dong, Darryl Conte Jr, Jianhong Ou, Lihua Julie Zhu, April Deng, Meera Mahalingam, Michael R. Green and Narendra Wajapeyee. miR-146a promotes the initiation and progression of melanoma by activating Notch signaling. Elife, Feb 18; 3:e01460.2014
- Yuying Dong, JoAnna Richards, Romi Gupta, Yuval Kluger, Phuy Phuy Aung, Meera Mahalingam, Narendra Wajapeyee. PTEN functions as a melanoma tumor suppressor by regulating host immune response. Oncogene, Oct 21st, 2013 [Epub ahead of print].
- Narendra Wajapeyee*, Sunil K. Malonia, Rajendra K. Palakurthy, and Michael R. Green*. Oncogenic RAS directs silencing of tumor suppressor genes through ordered recruitment of transcriptional repressors. Genes and Development Oct 15; 27(20):2221-6, 2013. * Joint-corresponding authors
- Narendra Wajapeyee#, Shu-Zong Wang, Ryan W. Serra, Peter D. Solomon, Arvindhan Nagarajan, Xiaochun Zhu and Michael R. Green# Blood, 115: 5057-5060, June 17th, 2010. Senescence induction in human fibroblasts and hematopoietic progenitors by leukemogenic fusion-proteins # Joint corresponding authors
- Rajendra K. Palakurthy#, Narendra Wajapeyee#, Manas Kumar Santra, Ling Lin, Stephane Gobeil, Claude Gazin, and Michael R. Green. Epigenetic Silencing of RASSF1A tumor suppressor Genethrough HOXB3-Mediated Induction of DNMT3B Expression. Molecular Cell (Oct 23, 2009). # Co-first author
- Manas K. Santra#, Narendra Wajapeyee# and Michael R. Green. F-Box Protein FBXO31 Mediates Cyclin D1 Degradation to Induce G1 Arrest Following DNA Damage. Nature, 4th June, 2009.459: 722-5.# Co-first author
- Narendra Wajapeyee, Ryan Serra, XiaChun Zhu, Meera Mahalingam and Michael R Green. Oncogenic BRAF induces Senesences through an Autocrine/Paracrine pathway by the Secreted Protein IGFBP7. Cell , 8th Feb 2008. 132; 363-74