The mission of the Yale COPPER Center is to improve cancer care and to decrease the burden of cancer on individual patients as well as society. Led by Cary P. Gross, MD, and Xiaomei Ma, PhD, the Center is comprised of researchers and clinicians from across the Yale Schools of Medicine (General Medicine, Geriatrics, Oncology, Radiation Oncology, Dermatology, and Pediatrics), Public Health, and Nursing. We also provide training and mentorship to the next generation of cancer policy and outcomes researchers.
- Generate and disseminate new information that can improve the care and outcomes of patients with cancer.
- Develop and refine new research methods and data resources.
- Train and engage clinicians and researchers in the conduct of cancer-related outcomes, policy, and effectiveness research.
Center members currently collaborate on a wide spectrum of translational cancer research projects, employing expertise in clinical epidemiology, comparative effectiveness, and health services research across a variety of cancer types (breast, colon, head and neck, lung, prostate, bladder, and hematological malignancies) and clinical settings. COPPER investigators employ state of the art techniques to shed new light on the care and outcomes of older persons with cancer. The group has considerable experience analyzing large datasets, including cancer registry and administrative claims data, and collecting primary data.
Current areas of inquiry include the dissemination of new technology, patterns and cost of cancer screening and treatment, and the impact of comorbid conditions. Project funding currently comes from the National Institutes of Health, Yale Cancer Center, and private foundations (American Cancer Society, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, American Heart Association).
- Radiation Therapy for Medicare Patients
- Understanding Cost and Value in Cancer Screening and Treatment
- Cancer Care in Military Health Service
- Cardiovascular Outcomes of Cancer
- PROTECT Study
ContactsCary P. Gross, MD, Director
Xiaomei Ma, PhD, Co-Director